I don’t want to have to only wear breastfeeding tops (boring!), so in order to be able to wear my normal shirts comfortably, I needed a nursing tank to cover my belly when I pulled my outer shirt up. While there are specific nursing tanks you can get, this tutorial allows for any spaghetti strap tank top to attach to your nursing bra and become a nursing tank – much more variety!
They also sell products that do just this, but they are expensive and your choices are limited. With this easy DIY I turned a few $5 tanks into the same thing – and I got to pick more interesting colors and even patterns!
Make sure you pick a tank top that is tight enough that the back doesn’t need to be supported by straps (or add little clips to hold it onto the back of your bra).
Anyway…I didn’t actually take any photos of how to make them (oops!)…but it’s pretty self explanatory.
1. Measure the part near the clip on your nursing bra.
2. Cut your connector to the appropriate length; I used elastic my mum had in her sewing box, but you could use ribbon, fabric, anything you have really!
3. Sew the connector onto the tank top, at the corresponding point.
4. You could cut the straps off – I’ve left mine on so that I can wear the tanks after I’m done breastfeeding. This is a great option if it’s a tank that you’re attached to. Otherwise, just chop off the straps; but they are easy enough to hide…
1. pull tank top up over your bra with the straps off
2. slip the connector over your bra (if you’ve cut the straps, you’re done – just clip up and go!)
3. take the strap and wrap it around your bra and fold the little triangle of fabric left over, then tuck the whole strap in under your armpit.
4. clip up! now it unclips just like a nursing bra but keeps your tummy covered!